- Mix up a batch of Everlasting Potpourri and set it in the closet where you keep your winter coats. It will keep your coats smelling fresh and repel insects that may damage your woolens.
Linen Closet. Keep things fresh
- Put your fresh bars of The Soap Lady soaps in linen closets and in dresser drawers where you keep clothing. The soap will repel insects and freshen the clothes. Change the bars out when you order your next batch. Aging the soaps in this way will make them last longer.
Lavender Oil A good night's sleep
- Put a few drops of lavender essential oil in the washing machine with your sheets to help you get a peaceful night’s sleep.
- Cleaning house. Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to your wash water when cleaning windowsills to keep insects out.
- Peppermint oil keeps mice out, too! Use it when cleaning cupboards and closets.
Homemade carpet cleaner. Save time and money!
- Use 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water to make your own safe, clean substitute for carpet shampoo in your favorite steam cleaner.
Wash windows streak free!
- Use newspaper to dry windows when washing them for a clean, streak free window. Plain newsprint works best. Avoid color pictures.
Clean Spills on Your Carpet
- Draw out the moisture from the carpet spill.
- To soak moisture of carpet spills, soak up what you can with bunched up paper towels, cover spot with oatmeal or cornmeal and allow to stand several hours or overnight.
- Then vacuum.
Clear a Sluggish Drain
- Skip the drain cleaner. Try a natural technique. Try pouring 1-2 gallons of boiling water down a sluggish drain to make it run clean and smell fresh.
Keep Cupboards and Closets Fresh
- My soaps and bath salts make great air fresheners!
- To freshen your closets and to protect clothing from moths, put a bag of my bath salts (any scent) on a shelf and enjoy the scent each time you open the door.
- To freshen your bureau drawers, put a bar of my soap in with your belongings. This will allow the bar of soap to dry out and harden and last much longer once you put it to use.
To Keep Sinks Clean
- My soap will clean kitchen surfaces
- Use a green scrubbie and any one of my soaps to scrub away soap scum and grime.
Freshen Musty Basements
- Sweeten the air in your basement with sweet clover. Sweet clover grows wild in many areas, and will absorb the damp odor in your cellar.
- Cut and tie it in a bunch, bend it at the center to break the stem and release the scent, and hang it from the ceiling.
Remove Candle Wax From Fabric or Carpet
- To remove candle wax, a warm iron and newspaper will do the trick.
- Lay clean newspaper over the spill and press gently with the warm iron, moving the paper frequently to keep clean paper over the wax. The paper will soak up the melted wax. Presto!
- Scent your home with fragrant spices. To freshen the air in your home, save orange peels (just place them on a paper towel in an out of the way spot.) and boil them in water with any one or all of the following:
- 1 tbsp of whole cloves
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- This can be done on the stovetop or in the microwave. Discard the mixture after it cools.